Pages

Sunday 28 April 2013

GIRLS


I've never been into the dramatic televisions shows. Programs like Pretty Little Liars and Grey's Anatomy are fabricated and over dramatized, in my mind. All I can think about while watching these shows is how come the characters haven't keeled over and gone insane from the terrible and crazy things that happen to them? Seriously, if a mysterious person was stalking me and taunting me all the while, I would have been inconsolable... like lots of ugly crying. 

Instead, I prefer comedy-based shows like Community, How I Met Your Mother, Modern Family and now GIRLS. 

Copyright HBO
Girls is a fabulous television show that follows a group of (shocker!) girls in their twenties. It is both funny and real and I couldn't be more obsessed with it. I managed to get through two seasons in 48 hours thanks to lots of Red Bull and dry cereal (my guilty pleasures). The show is written and directed by the creator and star Lena Dunham, a woman who I have grown to admire greatly. Not only does Dunham create such a marvelous show but she’s also an advocate for real girls. She's not blinded by the media and by Hollywood and for that I applaud her. Below is a quote from Dunham. 

 "It completely sickens me what our culture is doing to women. Last week I wore a big top and little shorts and a bunch of stuff came out saying I was without pants. 'The No-Pants Look,' it said. And I didn't go out without pants, I had shorts on...If Olivia Wilde had gone to a party with a big silky top and little shorts she might have been told her outfit was cute...What it was really: 'Why did you show us your thighs'?" 

See what I mean? This chick rocks.

Copyright HBO

It also shouldn't come as a surprise that Judd Apatow (my spirit animal) is producing the show. Apatow is known for being linked to some of this generation's staple movies and television shows such as Freaks and Geeks, Undeclared, Anchorman, Knocked Up, This Is 40 etc etc etc. 

The story Dunham tells through Girls is refreshing; it's real. The reason I laugh out loud while watching it is probably because I can image myself saying the exact same things the character say. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've said or at least thought half the things the characters have said. The characters are both likeable and unpleasant because they're so relatable. They’re like a more charming and funnier version of ourselves.

Spoiler Alert: One of my favorite episodes is when Dunham’s character Hannah and her gay ex-boyfriend turned roommate decide to do cocaine. Although I can guarantee you I’d never do coke, it was hilarious imagining myself partying with those two. It's not all peaches and cream though, (ps I don't even like peaches and putting them with cream sounds gross) there are a lot of cringe worthy moments from odd sex scenes to the harsh realities of OCD (i.e. when Hannah found out the consequences of sticking a q-tip too far into her ear). But that's what makes this show interesting. It's all real events.

Copyright HBO

I strongly suggest watching Girls. It’s seriously so well written and so funny that I’m hooked and am going through withdraws from my marathon. Also the soundtrack is worth noting with artists such as fun., Robyn and The Vaccines being featured on it. Let me know if you’ve seen the show or listened to the soundtrack and tell me what you think! Laters!

No comments:

Post a Comment